Monday, August 6, 2012

Missing the Milestones

Baby sister had her first bites of solids this week! I am so excited for many reasons, but most importantly, I'm excited to see her grow. She is 7 months old now and still working on her sitting skills, but with the help of a Bumbo seat, she's more than eager to eat everything I give her.

{Baby toes!!}

I was so proud while feeding baby girl, watching her learn a new skill and praying for her growth. It's bitter sweet though. I am not supposed to be the one taking the "first bites" pictures. Baby girl's mama missed a sweet moment and I am saddened by that.

This is not the first time that I've witnessed another parent's child hit a milestone. As a nanny, I've seen baby's first steps before parents saw them, although I never ever told!! Still, that was different because I was working for the parents. They hand selected me to be the secondary caregiver for their children and we had a beautiful working relationship.

With fostering, there's a wall between foster and bio parents, an awkwardness that may never go away. I'm just sad that because of the circumstances surrounding baby sister's life, some strange lady like myself will be guiding and teaching her instead of her mama. On the other hand, I'm honored to be that strange lady and hope that with each passing day, I can become someone dear to her. Either way, I could never replace her mama.

1 comment:

  1. you're right! its sad that the parents are missing the milestones, but I am glad that atleast someone is seeing the milestones. Some kids don't even have that! :)

    ReplyDelete