Monday, May 30, 2011

Bungee Jumping at Vic Falls

Giving birth naturally taught me that I can do anything. You train your mind to make your body do something that seems scary. The day before my first baby turned three, my mind told my body to jump, and I did. Through a double rainbow. Three hundred feet off the bridge between Zimbabwe and Zambia. In front of Victoria Falls. After zip lining of course :)

The Zip Line was just an appetizer.

Getting my number (your weight and jump number)

There's the rope!


Suiting Up


The gorge


The power of (some of) the falls



The Bridge


The double rainbow

Lazzy and Dan watching me get ready


Next to giving birth, bungee jumping was the biggest rush of adrenaline I've ever experienced. It was not painful like it looks. In fact, it was the most peaceful minute of my life. My stomach didn't flip like on a roller coaster. I just fell, toward rushing water in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Afterward, as I walked back to Dan and the boys who were watching from the bridge, I was ready to jump again.

There she goes!!

Feeling Good!

On Sunday, Elijah's birthday, the whole team went to the bridge, this time to see Dan jump. We bought the adventure package which included a zip line and bungee jump as well as the gorge swing. Basically, it was $30 on top of the usual bungee jump price to get all three...we decided to go for it and split the package. The swing is just like the bungee jump in that you jump off the platform free falling toward the water but the rope is attached to your middle instead of your feet. You jump out rather than dive and once the rope catches you, you swing for hundreds of feet until it slows you down. It looked like a lot of fun.



Elijah cheering for daddy


There he goes!



Coming back up

Elijah has been jumping off of things all day and asking for his turn to jump. He thought it was so cool that mommy and daddy got to jump off a bridge. More on our trip to Vic Falls in coming....just had to share the most exciting part first.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. You guys are nuts. I wondered if there was a philosophical or theological reason why Dan decided to jump feet first, rather than the traditional head first/arms outstretched...?

    ReplyDelete