Thursday, June 10, 2010

"God is my Help"

LWWR-Lazarus William Wayne Robbins.

William is Dan's dad's middle name and his brother's first name. Wayne is my dad's middle name. Lazarus means "God is my help". Dan and I both liked the name from the beginning, but had doubts and considered others for a while (Including Ezekiel, Owen, and Levi). It's been harder picking out a name this time around because I want it to sound good with Elijah but not be too close.

After some time, we both realized that Lazarus was truly our favorite for so many reasons. First of all, the nick names will go so well together-Lij (pronounced l-eye-j) and Laz. I also like that Lazarus was from the town of Bethany. But really, I have always loved the passage about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead in John 11:1-44. Not only is it an amazing testimony to the power of Christ, but it also shows how human he really was. Jesus knew that the purpose of Lazarus' death was to prove the glory of God through his resurrection.

"4When he heard this, Jesus said "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it......11 After he said this, he went on to tell them "our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.....14 so then he told them plainly "Lazarus is dead, and for your sake, I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him." John 11:4, 11, 14

Jesus, being fully God, knew that everything would be alright. Still, Jesus loved Lazarus and his family (Martha and Mary) and was very troubled by his death.

"When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. When Jesus saw her weeping, the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord" they replied. Jesus wept. Then the Jews said "See how he loved him!" John 11: 32-36

Jesus, the son of God, was born as a man on this earth so that he could conquer death. Death was not abstract to him. He understood the pain and hated it just as we do. He mourned with Mary and Martha and all the Jews who were close to Lazarus. He entered into their pain, even though he had the power to keep Lazarus alive and also knew that in moments, he would indeed bring him back from the dead. The story of Lazarus often reminds me of this passage from Hebrews 4:14-16.

"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin. Let us the approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

The passage in John also speaks to me personally about my own need for Christ to bring me out of death. I was definitely "asleep" and needed to be awakened. I believe that like Lazarus, Jesus mourned over my sinful life and hated it enough to die for me. Ever since before the world began, He knew I would be resurrected, but he didn't fix things without entering into the pain of my sin. It is all a very long process that will not be completed until I am with him in Heaven and I know that He longs for that day more than I do.

My prayer is that Lazarus will one day understand the significance of his name and the reasons we chose it. I hope he grows up always knowing and trusting in God's love for him.

1 comment:

  1. sweet name! can't wait to see what little Laz looks like!

    ReplyDelete