Friday, February 5, 2010

Movies: seen and unseen

Dan and I joined Netflix two months ago and have really enjoyed having a cheap date once or twice a week. We've watched a lot of movies together and I've seen more by myself as I spend about 3-4 nights a week alone while Dan works. Most of the films we've seen have been good. I wanted to share a few with you that were my favorites as well as share the ones I look forward to seeing.

Seen:

Gigantic starring Paul Danno (Little Miss Sunshine) and Zooey Deschanel came out in 2008. All of you have probably already seen this one, but it was new to me. I absolutely loved this movie. Zooey played her usual quirky and uniquely desirable character who has no direction in life until she meets a sensitive mattress salesman (Paul Danno). It's funny, dark and extremely redeeming. I do however wish I could cut out a 3 minute scene altogether. Without this scene, the movie would have been perfect. For that reason, I give it 4.5 stars.

Speaking of Zooey Deschanel, Dan and I watched a SciFi remake of the wizard of Oz called Tin Man. It was a three part series where Zooey plays the Dorothy character who has to remember her magic to defeat the which living inside her older sister. I really wanted to see it because I love The Wizard of Oz and I was hoping Zooey would do some singing. Sadly, it was more of a generic made for tv movie with a lot of silly SciFi computer graphics and no singing what so ever. We gave it three stars because it was entertaining, but very cheesy and at times, flat out dumb.


Eagle vs. Shark is another movie that might be old news to you, but we had never heard of it until Netflix recommended it for us. If you like Flight of the Conchords, you will most likely enjoy this awkward love story starring Jamaine Clement. This film had me laughing out loud. It's a subtle humor, not slapstick, similar to that of Napoleon Dynamite with a little more maturity and meaning. We gave this movie 5 stars.


Unseen:

Paper Heart looks like it will be yet another quirky love story filled with sweet and awkward moments. I have loved Michael Cera since he started out on Arrested Development. Like Zooey Deschanel, he seems to play the same character in most of his films. Lucky for him, most people enjoy that character and I look forward to seeing him again in this film.


I still have yet to see Where the Wild Things Are. I know, it's shocking....we just haven't gotten around to it. We will soon now that it is on Netflix.


Other newish movies I look forward to seeing are:
Greenberg coming March 2010
The newest Cohen brothers film called A Serious Man which comes out on Feb. 9th
Burn After Reading which came out in 2008
Pirate Radio which came out in 2009
AND
Babies which comes out on my sister's due date and my other sister's b-day, Feb. 16th

0 comments:

Post a Comment