Monday, November 5, 2012

DIY Ribbon Wreath Project

In a few weeks, I will be hosting a craft night for a women's ministry at a local church. We decided to make wreaths and I've spent the last few weeks collecting supplies.

I really liked the straw wreaths as they seemed more substantial than the foam ones. For bulk orders over $100, try this craft website. They also carry various birds for very cheap! Also, Walmart has them for $2.75 each, which I found out after ordering 45 of them!! Oh well, you craft and you learn, right?

I began by wrapping my wreath, being careful to keep one side nice and smooth. Because the ribbon is 2.5 inches thick, it did bunch a bit. I just made sure it was bunchy on the side facing the wall. I used about 3 sticks of hot glue for this project. Half of that was just for securing the ribbon.
{Isn't this silver feather ribbon awesome?}

I left about two inches of my wreath unwrapped. This way, I could stick berries and branches into the ribbon and secure it with glue. Once it was all in place, I wrapped a bit of red velvet ribbon to finish it off. This also gave me another smooth surface to glue bows and a bird onto.


I added a few birds, beads and berries and voila! The finished product:


I probably could have put more greenery on it. My wreath is 18 inches so it has plenty of room for decorative birds. Maybe I'll add to it throughout the week. I just love the color scheme though!

I know Halloween was just last week, and I fully intend on celebrating Thanksgiving wholeheartedly. I also don't see any harm in preparing for Christmas :)

3 comments:

  1. that is beautiful! I love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to do this! Thanks for such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't need to add anything to the wreath, it's gorgeous in its simplicity. You've inspired me to try my hand at making my own Christmas wreath. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete