Friday, September 28, 2012

Times They Are a-Changin'

Today, the boys and I are driving to Nashville for 10 days. The next two weekends are filled with activities involving people of my past. A dear friend from high school is getting married and it's my 10 year high school reunion. 

ACK!! 10 years ago, I was 18, had no eyebrows and apparently wore eyeliner.


I thought I was invincible. I was angry and confused. I lived in the moment and had very few plans for my future. I did not love the Lord and had animosity toward those who did. I couldn't wait to get out of Nashville. I was scared to do mature things like apologize or admit my faults. I was SO SO stubborn!!

When I reflect on the past 10 years of my life, I don't really think about my accomplishments, but more about how God has absolutely changed me. I certainly have not yet "arrived" and am still a work in progress, but I am different. 10 years ago, I would have said EF YOU! to the thought of attending any sort of reunion with people from my high school. I was the girl who skipped my senior prom to see Bob Dylan live instead (I still stand by that decision, by the way!).

Today, I am thrilled to be traveling back home. Thrilled to see old friends and catch up. Thrilled to be encouraged by other people's stories of change and transformation. To see my friends' babies and spouses and to be embraced by those who've known me since the days of no eyebrows.

I'm feeling sentimental (a rare thing for me, you know) so I'll be listening to lots of Counting Crows, old school Radiohead, Bjork and Bob Dylan while on my journey. And if the boys have anything to do with it, we'll have "Seven Nation Army" on repeat for at least an hour of our trip. Nashville, here we come!

1 comment:

  1. Wonder how many of the folks have changed out of all recognition? Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete