Monday, February 6, 2012

Top 10 - Jane of All Trades

This is what I did this week:

-Helped a friend open an Etsy shop
-Revamped another friend's closet and did some wardrobe consulting, too. (post coming soon!)
-Initial meetings with two new doula clients
-Interview with potential doula clients (they hired me, too!)
-A few impromptu coffee dates
-Taught some refugee gals to make earrings at FORAI
-Taught Lazzy how to brush his teeth by himself
-Reorganized/relocated my entire City Thistle inventory to make space for the new playroom (another post I guess I need to work on!)
-Packaged and took CT orders to the post office

Each day was filled to the brim with activities and surprises, fellowship and hard work. I'm so thankful for the flexibility to be many things to many people. I like wearing 100 hats!

Still, I've often struggled with finding my purpose in life. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone, although sometimes I feel that way. In high school, so many kids knew exactly where they were going to college and for which degree. In college, while I was considering multiple paths, all of my friends were confident in their majors. But many people feel the weight of this never ending question. I know I'm not alone. Even now at the end of our 20's, Dan and I are asking ourselves what we should do after seminary.

I do believe, whole heartedly, that my over all purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever (according to the Westminster Catechism of Faith, of course). What that actually looks like will continue to change throughout my life and the more I realize that, the more I am able to fulfill my purpose. It's more about submitting to each stage of life and allowing God to work through you in the place you are standing at that very moment.

I think a lot of people feel overwhelmed by having to make that big life decision at one point in their life, afraid that they can never change their minds. It's not a life sentence. It's an opportunity to serve and grow and move around the earth, enjoying life.

The truth is, our interests change. Our skills are sharpened. Circumstances open and close doors and we find our callings change right before our eyes. But even though the physical ways we fulfill our calling might change, our hearts are always to be concerned with God's kingdom purposes. The hard part isn't finding the perfect job or your life's calling. God's worrying enough about that. The hard part for me is remembering to focus on Him through it all.

Again, I'm thankful for my life. I just wish I had a few more so I could do more.

Just for fun, Top 10 things I would be if I could live 10 more lives:

10. Circus performer. Either a trap-ease artist or a horse rider lady.

9. A struggling artist living in NYC. But not with too much of a struggle. Just enough struggle to have a few good stories to tell once I made it big.

8. Translator for Wycliffe in a remote place.

7. A writer for Travel Magazine, or one of those travel shows where you get to stay in hotels on exotic islands and then write about how the local food was better than the hotel dinner.

6. Work on the Ellen DeGeneres show.

5. Cast member for SNL, preferably during the Tina Fey era or currently with Kristen Wiig.

4. Professional surfer. With a tan!

3. French school teacher, in the countryside of France.

2. Urban farmer.

1. Human rights activist (not the occupy Wall street kind. come on.)







Still, I wouldn't trade these three guys for anything!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are busy! I wil be 30 soon and I am also struggling with what I want to do when I grow up. It's comforting to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete