Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What are they thinking?

I LOVE Christmas, which is why I am so annoyed. Last week, I was at Hobby Lobby getting felt for our latest $5 thrift store find-a felt board with carrying case and tons of felt animals, characters and accessories. While there, I noticed an entire outdoor nativity scene similar to the one below.
Complete Outdoor Nativity Set

I had sticker shock as I read the sale signs. Apparently, the little lamb was on SALE for only $199.99. Likewise, Joseph was marked down to an affordable $229.99. (Do you sense my sarcasm?) I could not believe my eyes. Just as my jaw was returning to my face, I spotted the sale sign for the baby Jesus which read "$39.99". What??? Jesus is the most important one! You could skimp a bit and leave out a lamb or two but Jesus? He's it. He's all that matters and he was the cheapest part of the entire nativity scene. The straw would cost more than the Jesus! I felt sick.

To make matters worse, the radio was playing "Raindrops on roses" from "The Sound of Music" on the Christmas station. I'm sorry, but that is NOT a Christmas song. Yeah, it mentions some snowflakes and sleigh bells but that does not make it a song about Christmas. It's a song about being in a bad mood and needing to cheer yourself up.

Thanks for letting me vent. I just had to get that out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bethany,

    I read your posts often, your little guy has the same birthday as my little niece, and your boys are so cute!

    Maybe they knew Jesus was the most important, so they wanted to make him the most affordable. :)

    Merry Christmas,
    Jen Mann

    ReplyDelete