Saturday, August 22, 2009

Come one come all

I felt very sad today about not being in Malawi anymore. It's strange because I thought this feeling wouldn't come until a little while later. But it's here. It's a regretful feeling in the pit of your stomach. It's the feeling you get when you walk past someone you kind of know but didn't say hello. Oh, and they noticed you too and probably think you're a jerk for not stopping. I know that doesn't mean much for a Seattlite but the southerner in me wants to crawl in a hole when this happens. Anyways, I don't like the feeling because I know that Dan and I have followed God here to seminary. I cannot regret leaving Malawi because I knew it was just a two year commitment. The end had to come eventually. It came two months ago, and now I'm here in a totally new city starting all over.

I miss so many things about Malawi. Right now though, selfishly I miss it because it is familiar to me. I got comfortable there and I am still so uncomfortable here. This is when I have to remind myself that I shouldn't be getting too comfortable anywhere. God will take us where He needs us and we need to be ready to up and follow Him at any point in time. Plus, nowhere on this Earth will feel more like home than my home that has been prepared for me in heaven.

For now, I am thankful to be on the ground for a while. We have been on 21 planes since August 2007 and most of those were international flights. Not to mentioned the road trips. It was fun being abroad, and although we hope and pray to be abroad again soon, I am okay with being still for at least the next four years.

I can assure you that this blog will be much less exciting as my first. I cannot guarantee funny stories of going to markets, sun spiders eating tarantulas and bathing my baby in a bucket outdoors. But if you care, we will be here as long as God has us here.