Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Supper Swap-Vegetable Soup

Making dinner for 8 adults and 4 kids hasn't been as stressful as I imagined. Although it takes a lot of time and work, it can be done pretty easily with enough planning. Supper Swap has brought me back to a time where life was calm. A time when I had all day to slowly prepare a meal while also visiting with friends throughout. It reminds me of Malawi. If I wanted dinner to be done by the usual 5pm power outage, I had to start cooking early.

Tuesdays have been set aside for time in the kitchen. I can leisurely work throughout the day towards the big upcoming meal. Dinner still needs to be done in time for 5pm, but for deliveries. Thankfully the power stays on. At the end of it all, I get 30 quiet minutes to myself in the car while I stop to chat with friends along the way. I love Tuesdays!

This week, I made a big vegetable minestrone type soup. It was the easiest meal I've made so far. I do not have a traditional recipe to share, but this is what I came up with:

1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce
1 Jar's worth water
1 C shell noodles
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn (or 1 C frozen corn)
1 large potato, cubed
1 C Vegetable broth

You literally put all the ingredients together and cook until noodles and potatoes are soft. You can also pre-cook the noodles and potatoes for perfect consistency. You can also just add half a bag of frozen veggies (carrots, corn, green beans) to the mix. I add a bit of honey, pepper, dried red pepper flakes and oregano to the mix as well. Basically season to taste. This soup leaves a lot of room for creativity. It's super easy to make a lot of and is really difficult to mess up. I also sent a fresh salad and a loaf of warm bucket bread to each home.

Because this week's meal was so easy, I felt a little cheated out of my usual Malawian cooking Tuesday. Maybe next week I will make fresh spring roles or sushi...something that really will take me all day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment