Monday, May 31, 2010

Mercy

Both NPR and the NY Times announced that Malawi's president, Bingu wa Mutharika, pardoned the couple that was found guilty of homosexuality. I think the pressures from other countries got him thinking. Malawi can't afford to lose support from the West. Either way, I am thankful he did it. I truly believe 14 years was extremely harsh.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. In the article, it's clear he still believes homosexuality to be against the law in Malawi. I wonder if this situation will spur him on to create new laws or revise old ones. The quote below shows that Bingu was just being merciful.

“I have done this on humanitarian grounds but this does not mean that I support this".

I will continue to pray that God will have mercy on Malawi and their law makers and enforcers. They need wisdom, but only God will be able to judge the hearts of man, and I believe he will.

0 comments:

Post a Comment