Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thinking things through

There are so many decisions we make on a daily basis, many of them without a second thought. There are other decisions we take days, weeks and sometimes months to think through all the pros and cons before committing. As a mother (and wife), it is so important for me to think through certain things that our culture would otherwise tell me not to. Birth control is constantly being advertised and I always assumed I would just go on the pill, not even caring about what it does to your body. 5 years ago, I would have thought longer about what muffin to eat at Starbucks than what type of birth control I wanted to use once married. Part of me was lazy and probably naive. I just didn't want to think about it because what if I found out something I would then have to deal with?? Thanks to some thoughtful friends and great resources, I now take these things into serious consideration instead of just going ahead with the norm.

I know that there are many opinions out there concerning circumcision, and I don't really want to voice mine here and now (it's nap time!) but I did want to share this article. It is written by a man who dealt beautifully with his 10 year old son on this issue. I bookmarked it in hopes that Dan can use this method when talking to Eli about what we chose (or rather-didn't choose) for him. Being Christians, we would probably put a different spin on things and not focus so much on other things that this guy talks about. It's not perfectly written, and kind of weirds me out at times, but I really appreciated his care and thoughtfulness and know that some of you will, too. Whatever you decide (or have decided) for your son, it's still an important talk to have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment